Saturday, May 30, 2009

Taming End of School Year Stressors

It goes without saying that most folks (adults and children alike) look forward to the end of the school year. Yet, that event particularly creates tremendous stress and anxiety on the part of all concerned. In NC the biggest stressor at year's end is known as the EOGs or EOCs - those mandated final "measures" of success. In other states that process lives by other names, but final testing exists wherever there are schools . There are other equally stressful events that come with the closing of the year- packing up, saying 'goodbye', retiring, planning summer jobs or vacations, getting ready for 'next year'. The question bodes "How best can we manage all the anxiety that is created in April, May and June?" The answer-by applying what we know and have learn during ACT training.

Readers and contributors, here is your opportunity to share the methods you employ - as the school year winds down - to remain in balance and perform at your most effective level of proficency. Share how you help your students and colleagues "manage the madness" that is an undesired constant of school life. Fill the page with your ideas and strategies.

1 comment:

Jason said...

What I do is operate at the principle level of perception. So instead of prioritizing what I need to "get done," I pay more attention to the qualities I need in order to be an "effective and efficient teacher." So, I end up controling for my reference of "effective and efficient teacher" rather than controling for eliminating a list of tasks. With a bit of self-evaluation and time, everything at the program level reorganized and before I knew it, things were getting done without me having to put much thought into it.

There are a few pieces that need to be in place in order for this startegy to be successful.

First, think about and list the qualities an "effective and efficient teacher" must exhibit.

Second, for each word, develop a reference perception. Use a T-chart. Label on side "sounds like" and the other side "looks like." List all behaviours you would see if you saw yourself being an "effective and efficient teacher." Do the same for sounds like.

Third, set a small goal and plan for it. Pick one of the words. From the lists in the T-cahrt, pick as many "looks like" and "sounds like" behaviours you think you can manage at once. You must pick what is doable for you; set yourself up for success.

Fourth, start to control for "the word you picked" and self-evaluate. At the end of each work day, stop and think. Ask yourself, "What did I do today to be (enter word you picked)?" Refer back to your list if needed.

(Note: Self-evaluating is a skill. And like every skill, it takes time to develop it. So, depending on your skill level, this step make take more time. The good news is, the more you self-evaluate, the better you get at it.)

Learning happens during the self-evaluation stage. It is also at this stage that ALL the mistakes you have made come to mind. This is inevitable because awareness follows error. You need to have strategies to deal with this error so that you can move on to continue being an "effective and efficient teacher."

What I do is ask myself questions. I had these questions written so when error crept up, I had something to fall back on. The questions are: Is this the worse I could do? What could have been worse? Knowing that this is not the worse thing, can I handle this situation? What kind of a teacher do I want to be in this situation? What can I give myself credit for? What's going to be different from now on? Do I need help with this? Who can help me?....On the occasions when I was stuck with my error, I seeked out MOL sessions or councelling. Prepare yourself to deal with past issues.

Remember that error is created when there is a difference between what you want and what you percieve you are getting. Error at one level of perception can only be "eliminated" when you are aware of the "master" reference perception which is always at a higher level of perception. In my experience, all "master" reference perceptions were memories from my past. So dealing with the skeletons in my closet became part of the process to get to being an "effective and efficient teacher."

Fifth, celebrate all successes, big or small. Share good news with others. Go for dinner. Treat yourself with a small gift. Just do something nice for yourself, you deserve it!